Thursday, November 21, 2013

Liszt, anyone?

I'm going to stray from politics for a minute and talk about a piece from the famous Hungarian composer Franz Liszt. There are few things more challenging, and rewarding, than learning arguably the most difficult piano solo on the planet. I work with and depend so much on people at work all day, that it is quite refreshing to rehearse a talent that depends 100% on me. No one else can make me sound good. Perfection is not an option on the piano, it's a necessity. I think there's great wisdom to teaching a child a musical instrument: only perfection is acceptable (and tolerable). "Be ye therefore perfect," as the scripture says. I do marathon training about three times per week. Running is SO basic compared to Liszt. No single strategy works: I am constantly trying different methods each time I rehearse. My mentality and approach change all the time. The only constant is practice. The great thing about the piano is that practice really does make perfect. Or, as my friend says, "perfect practice makes perfect."
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment